Should we name new kitty Jax or Fivel?

Friday, September 11, 2009

Blink and you'll miss it




Some people love malcolm gladwell. Some people like to hate on him. And some people like to hate on the haters. I saw him speak at a conference, and didn't think he was a very good speaker. He also wasn't very nice when he signed my book, and looks like a mole. But, I love his theories in "Blink" about subconscious thinking. I had one such moment today.


At my job I talk to hundreds of people each day. Most of them lie to me, and all of them want money. They always say that they turned in their forms, that "someone" told them they would be getting more financial aid, etc. etc. Today I talked to a student who told me that he didn't owe the remainder of his tuition money, because someone at financial aid had promised him that the remaining balance would be covered. Nothing in our system backed up what he was saying at all. But unlike 99% of the students I talk to, there was just a more legitimate feel to what he was saying. It wasn't anything conscious, just a gut feeling. Anyway, I ran it all the way up to the assistant director, and we did some digging, and found a letter from the director himself promising the remainder of the payment. Someone had just forgot to key it in. That's all. Not sure what the point of this post is. Go Cougars!

5 comments:

Abbie said...

Ha ha. This was so random, I loved it. Isn't that kind of disappointing when you get so excited to meet someone and it's such a downer?

Ashley said...

Way to listen to your gut! I really think there is something to that...

Britt said...

then what is it called when i think i left my curling/straightening iron on EVERY DAY??

Scott said...

Wow Joe. Way to really tie it all in at the end so succinctly....=)

Anita Wells said...

you're so funny! i love and "and he looks like a mole" aside. have you heard of that guy who analyzes facial features to tell if people are lying? sounds like you'd be good at it too.