Should we name new kitty Jax or Fivel?

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Where were you...

...when the earthquake hit?

I was in new-teacher training with 20+ other people. We all looked around for about 5 seconds, then I started to get under my desk while everyone else ran out of the classroom into the hallway. I remember earthquake drills: you get under your desk and cover the back of your neck. But nobody else did that, so I doubted myself and ran after them. Then we all went outside and started texting and updating Facebook statuses (obviously). Joe was at work (the basement level of his building,) and readily admits that he ran out without concern for the well-being of anyone else. Quote: "I will never need a reminder to put my oxygen mask on before assisting someone else."

We were both released early, and luckily made it home without getting stuck in any crazy traffic. I *get* that it wasn't a huge earthquake and we there was not a ton of damage, but what a lot of people don't respect is that this area is not used to earthquakes...or flood-producing rain.

The rain last week was incredible. The worst of it came on a Thursday, and my 35 minute commute turned into an hour and 45 minutes. It was awful. The actual rain reminded me of a big Oregon storm, but the roads and drivers were not used it...it was ugly. Some of my friends were stuck at work; one is a teacher, and her students kept getting sent back on buses because they couldn't navigate the flooded neighborhoods or the students' parents couldn't get home from work.

FPCS schools were closed the next day from the rain, and no one was complaining...a 3-day school week? Yes! We'll probably regret using up that "snow" day when we're working well into June, but whatever.

No comments: